Apache Slider App Packaging¶
SLIDER: A collection of tools and technologies to simplify the packaging, deployment and management of long-running applications on YARN.
- Availability (always-on) - YARN works with the application to ensure recovery or restart of running application components.
- Flexibility (dynamic scaling) - YARN provides the application with the facilities to allow for scale-up or scale-down
- Resource Mgmt (optimization) - YARN handles allocation of cluster resources.
Apps on YARN¶
- Application written to run directly on YARN
- Packaging, deployment and lifecycle management are custom built for each application
- Applications deployed and managed on YARN using Slider
- Use of slider minimizes custom code for deployment + lifecycle management
- Requires apps to follow Slider guidelines and packaging ("Sliderize")
Refer to Creating a Slider package for Memcached for a quick over view of how to write a Slider app.
Packaging enhancements: Simplified Packaging describes a simplified version of packaging that Slider supports for applications that do not need full capability of a Slider application package. The work is available in the develop branch and is targeted for the next relase.
The entry points to use Slider are:
- Application Needs What it takes to be deployable by Slider.
- Slider AppPackage Overview of how to create an Slider AppPackage.
- Specifications for AppPackage Describes the structure of an AppPackage
- Specifications for Application Definition How to write metainfo.xml
- Specification of Resources How to specify the YARN resource requirements
- Specifications InstanceConfiguration How to write a template config for an app
- Specifications for Configuration Default application configuration
- Specifying Exports How to specify exports for an application?
- Documentation for "General Developer Guidelines"